Guidelines for Writers and Publishers
We receive numerous queries every year from writers who are interested in participating at the annual festival. The following guidelines answer the most frequently asked questions. Please familiarize yourself with the festival, the format and its history by referring to the rest of this website.
- The festival features Canadian writers only. We do not present writers of self-published books.
- There is no application process. Writers are invited to participate by the Producer.
- Festival events, with a very few exceptions, feature just one writer at a time. Each writer is given one hour to read, discuss their work and answer questions from the audience.
- Writers must have the confidence and energy to hold the attention of the audience for an hour.
- All festival events take place in the 500-seat Festival Pavilion.
- While we seek opportunities to present emerging writers, we must also consider a writer's ability to attract a sizeable audience given the size of our venue and our reliance on ticket sale revenue.
- The Festival is programmed with reference to a variety of criteria including gender, genre, age, cultural diversity and regional representation.
- The process of programming begins in September of each year and is completed by March. The promotional brochure is distributed by the beginning of May and tickets go on sale at the end of May.
- We cannot take responsibility for the return of unsolicited books and manuscripts.